Trauma therapy, especially EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing Therapy) can help you overcome the after effects of trauma and adverse events. EMDR can help you to move on with your life.
Trauma can be described as any event or series of events which overwhelm your capacity to cope, leaving a negative impact on your nervous system and current behaviour. You don’t need an official diagnosis of Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) to benefit from EMDR therapy.
Obvious Trauma in Early Life
- Physical abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Domestic violence
- Early loss or abandonment by parents or carers
- Childhood illness & medical procedures
- Verbal criticism and humiliation
Adverse events before 18 years old
- Witnessing abuse of a parent or sibling
- Living with a parent who was alcoholic or other mental illness
- Living with neglectful parents
- Bullying at school or home
- Unpredictable school or home life
Recent trauma or painful life events
- Vehicle accidents
- Workplace injury
- Bullying or harassment
- Fire, robberies
- Victim of crime
- Sexual or physical assault
- Medical diagnosis or mishap
- Sudden change in work
The after effects of trauma are painful and can significantly interfere with your quality of life. You may experience:
- Anxiety or hyper-vigilance, always looking out for something to go wrong
- Numbness, detachment or feeling spaced out
- Overwhelm or despair, dread, worry and fear
- Persistent feelings of shame and guilt
- Shame, feeling not good enough, powerless, plagued by self doubt.
Trying to cope with these difficulties may lead to:
- Self medicating with food, alcohol or drugs
- Compulsive behaviours such as shopping, gambling, or unhealthy sexual activities
- Self sabotaging behaviours
- Unfulfilling or failed relationships
- Chronic unresolved health issues
Trauma therapy can turn your life around and make you feel like a different person:
- Be rid of intrusive thoughts, flashbacks and roller coaster emotions
- Feel more in control of your life
- Be less reactive and more considered in how you respond to challenges
- Have greater emotional stability and a more positive mood
- Let go of shame and unhealthy guilt
- Sleep more soundly and have better health overall
- Have better relationships in both your personal and work life
Working with me as your trauma therapist
My training in trauma therapy is extensive. I have dedicated much of my professional life to working in this area and have successfully treated many individuals including other mental health professionals and trauma therapists.
A key evidence based method that I use is Eye Movement Desensitisation Reprocessing (EMDR) as recommended by several health organisations including the World Health Organisation (WHO). EMDR is a powerful tool, providing healing faster and deeper than conventional talk therapy. It also integrates well with other established methods such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Schema Therapy.
Frequently when someone has a painful history of trauma, extensive support and strengthening of the self is necessary before opening up the trauma capsule for rewiring. I will assess your situation and work carefully to ensure that you are ready to face old demons before we begin the rewiring process.
With EMDR, treatment of well chosen target memories results in a domino effect resonating across many other similar painful memories. As a result, not every individual traumatic memory needs to be processed. This is a very efficient way of doing therapy. Collaboratively we will select and prioritise particular targets and rewire them.
Each person brings their own particular combination of trauma and adverse events. My wide experience facilitates the use of specialised protocols for handling problems associated with trauma, including anxiety, panic, grief, addictions, compulsions, pain, and developmental trauma.
During my own personal therapy, I found EMDR to be the most effective method for clearing trauma I experienced in life, car accidents and cancer diagnosis. I experienced first hand how EMDR can completely rewire old memories, along with their associated emotions, thoughts and body sensations. I know what being rewired feels like, having been on both sides of the camp, as both client and therapist.
Uncovering and working with old traumas is never an easy process. With my training and experience I can make this process workable for you. With EMDR you can make positive, worthwhile and long lasting changes.