Facing Covid19: Articles
Judson Brewer (MIT) on Awareness as Antidote
A Brain Hack to Break the Coronavirus Anxiety Cycle https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/well/mind/a-brain-hack-to-break-the-coronavirus-anxiety-cycle.html?referringSource=articleShare
Lori Gottleib (Psychotherapist) on Loss
Grieving the Losses of Coronavirus
The resources in this section give you a starting point to explore some of the methods I use in my therapy practice. Please note that self help books and websites provide useful information, but they are not tailored to your specific situation and do not replace the individual treatment that a therapist can provide for you, especially with healing trauma and long standing problems.
Treatment modalities: Self help
- Shapiro, F. (2012). Getting past your past: Take control of your life with self-help techniques from EMDR therapy. Rodale.
- Recent coverage on the ABC’s 7.30 report (Australia, 20 Nov 2015) with a 7 minute video
- Brief coverage on NBC (USA, 6 Nov 2014)
Adverse childhood events
- Jackson N., Donna. (2014). Childhood disrupted: How your biography becomes your biology and how you can heal. Atria.
- Gitta, J., van Genderen, H., & Seebauer, L. (2015). Breaking negative thinking patterns: A schema therapy self-help and support book. Wiley Blackwell.
- Young, J. E., & Klosko, J. S. (1993). Reinventing your life: How to break free from negative life patterns and feel good again. Penguin.
Compassionate focused therapy
- Gilbert, P., & Choden. (2015). Mindful compassion: How the science of compassion can help you understand your emotions, live in the present, and connect deeply with others. New Harbinger.
- Jinpa, T. (2015). A fearless heart: How the courage to be compassionate can transform our lives. Hudson St Press.
- Welford, M. (2015). The power of self-compassion: Using compassion-focused therapy to end self-criticism and build self-confidence. New Harbinger.
- Fredrickson, B. (2012). Positivity: Groundbreaking research to release your inner optimist and thrive. Oneworld.
- Lyubomirsky, S. (2007). The how of happiness: a new approach to getting the life you want. Penguin.
- Peterson, C. (2013). Pursuing the good life: 100 reflections on positive psychology. Oxford University Press.
- Seligman, M. (2011). Flourish: A visionary new understanding of happiness and well-being. Freepress, 2011.
- Hanson, R. (2013). Hardwiring happiness: The practical science of reshaping your brain and your life. Rider Books.
- Hanson, R., & Mendius, R. (2009). Buddha’s brain: The practical neuroscience of happiness, love and wisdom.
Science of attachment (Attachment theory)
- Levine, A., & Heller, R. (2010). Attached: Identify your attachment style and find your perfect match. Rodale.
Gottman approach to relationships
- Gottman, J. (1997). Why marriages succeed or fail: And how you can make yours last. Bloomsbury.
- Gottman, J., & Silver, N. (1999). The seven principles for making marriage work. Three rivers press.
- Gottmman, J. (2011). The science of trust: Emotional attunement for couples. Norton.
- Hari, J. (2018). Lost connections: Uncovering the real causes of depression and the unexpected solutions. Bloomsbury.
- Yapko, M. (2009). Depression is contagious. Freepress.
- Yapko, M. (2016). Keys to unlocking depression. Yapko Publications
- Wherenberg, M. (2010). The 10 best-ever depression management techniques. Norton.
Self esteem & Shame
- Brown, B. (2008). I thought it was just me (but it isn’t): Telling the truth about perfectionism, inadequacy and power. Gotham Books.
- Brown, B. (2015). Rising strong. Gotham Books.
- Brown, B. (2012). Daring greatly: How the courage to be vulnerable transforms the way we live, love, parent and lead. Penguin Books.
General Self care
- Blackburn, E., & Epel, E. (2017). The telomere effect: A revolutionary approach to living younger, healthier, longer. Orion Spring.
- Kondo, M. (2011). The life-changing magic of tidying: A simple effective way to banish clutter forever. Ebury.
- Rath, T. (2013). Eat move sleep. Missionday.
- Robinson, D. (1997). Too nice for your own good: How to stop making 9 self-sabotaging mistakes. Hachette.
- Pennebaker, J. W., & Smyth, J M. (2016). Opening up by writing it down: How expressive writing improves health and eases emotional pain. Guilford